Saving Energy During Daylight Savings in Elgin
Where did the time go? Daylight Savings Time ends on Nov. 4 at 2 a.m. and we all magically gain an hour in our day.
But, what does moving back the hands of time actually cost us in energy consumption?
The starting date and time has been adjusted over the years, currently beginning at 2 a.m. on the second Sunday of March and ending at 2 a.m. on the first Sunday of November.
But, just how much energy does Daylight Saving Time save? In 2008, Energy Department experts studied the impact of the extended Daylight Saving Time on energy consumption in the U.S. and found that the extra four weeks of Daylight Saving Time saved about 0.5 percent in total electricity per day. That adds up to electricity savings of 1.3 billion kilowatt-hours — or the amount of electricity used by more than 100,000 households for an entire year, according to the Department of Energy.
Here are some ways you can save money during Daylight Savings Time:
- Harness the heat from the sun- open curtains to allow sunlight to naturally heat your home. Close them at night to reduce the chill from the cold windows.
- Install a programmable thermostat to heat your home only when you are at home. Turning back your thermostat 10-15 degrees while you are at work and the kids are at school can save about 10 percent on your heating and cooling bills.
- Make sure your heating system is working efficiently. Replace dirty filters.
- Turn down the temperature of your water heater to the warm setting. Your hot water heater soaks up about 18 percent of the energy consumed in your home.
- Plumbing pipes, gaps around chimneys or vents, and even recessed lighting in the ceiling often have spaces that allow air into the house from outside. Seal them up to keep air from escaping.
- Use LED holiday light strings to reduce the cost of decorating your home for the winter holidays.
As we head into the fall and winter months here in Illinois, know that Wayne P Leonard is here to make sure your home is as comfortable as possible.
Wayne P Leonard can fix any electrical problems — safely and quickly. Our team of electricians is on call to respond to any electrical emergency you may have. No matter your electrical need, Wayne P Leonard’s team of electricians in the Chicagoland area is here to serve you. Call now to schedule service or a free estimate for your new installation.